Garden flooding from Neighbours Downpipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise whether anything beyond common decency would help me to encourage my neighbours to stop the Rain Water from their Conservatory roof from flooding my garden?

My neighbours have a 10' x 18' Pitched Roof Conservatory with gutter running along the 18' width. On the side of the Conservatory nearest my garden there is the only downpipe which doesn't have anything to catch or direct the Rain Water. The problem I have is that the Rain Water coming from the Downpipe floods a section of my Garden. I pointed it out to them a couple of months ago, but nothing done.

Previous experience has meant I have required a statement of Law before they are willing to do anything about an issue.

Sponsored Links
Should go to a soakaway, have a word with BCO (your local planning dept) for free advice

I think that you may find that there is no Building Reg actually requiring it to go to a soakaway or drain.

If not then it comes down to a Common Law "nuisence".

Obviously flooding your garden is a nuisence to you and they should desist.

The practicalities of getting them to do anything are more complicated.

It does not help that the flooding only occurs when it raining and few people sit out in their gardens when its raining so it may be difficult to claim that any enjoyment of your garden is prevented!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back