Raised patio needs balustrade newels bolted to brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a patio built up 1m from ground level with a twin skin wall. The inner skin being the retaining wall of high density blocks and a facing brick for the outer skin. I need to bolt the newels for a balustrade to the brickwork but need a little advice on what to use. I am looking at M12 sleeve anchors and through bolts in particular.

The newel posts need to be at least 900mm above the patio so I think I will need at least 300mm below, hopefully enough for two bolts.

Sleeve anchors are cheaper and good for brickwork but don't come in lengths that I think are long enough as the newel posts will be 100mm square. The through bolts are long enough but I'm not sure if they're suitable for the facing brick as they look as though the expansion sleeve concentrates the tension into a smaller area and could crack the brick, or worse, expand into fresh air as the bricks aren't solid.

I've also used thunderbolts before and think they could be a good compromise.

Any ideas or help out there?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back