stump grinding without a stump grinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 450mm dia fresh stump and want to get it level, tried a 9 inch grinder with a stone disc, that was useless. Is there any way (easy) I can do this without having to hire a stump grinder?

Sponsored Links
no! hire a stump grinder. it will be about £75 and it will do the job in about 15 minutes

At my old house I dug round a stump and cut the roots with a chainsaw (killed one blade) then pulled it out with a set of pushpulls slung round the next tree. Took me two days.

It worked but I wish I'd spent the hire money and done the job in half an hour. Plus you will always knacker a chainsaw blade when dirt gets in it so there is an initial outlay.

no! hire a stump grinder. it will be about £75 and it will do the job in about 15 minutes

What he says but phone round your builder merchant tool hire places and ask for a half day and get the price down to about £35. A lot cheaper than surgery when the grinder kicks back and gives your femoral artery the message.

Sponsored Links
make sure its got sharp teeth as well when you ask for it

define "level"?

you want to dig it out? or just cut the top level to put something on it?

Level means stump is 6 inch above ground level and horizontal, only one stump n its next to a brick wall so stump grinder may not get at it, what about a circular saw with tungsten teeth?

DIY - drill a series of holes in the top then chisel away to form a large hole (depression). Fill this hole with compost and plant something in it ... it'll look great!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back