WORCESTER GREENSTAR 42CDi Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just recently drained down the central heating system to fit a new radiator. Now that the system is filled back up again the the boiler seems reluctant to circulate hot water and shuts down until cool, where upon starts up again and so on. I have bled all the rads several times to no avail and the pump appears to be running. The hot water side of the boiler works with no problem however and the machine shows no error symbols on its display. Does any one have any ideals as to what i've done wrong?

Sponsored Links
any lines or symbols showing on the display when the heating is running :?:

the automatic air vent in the boiler has probably siezed , look in the installation instructions for the position , a light tap with a screw driver will probably free it.

Well,.....perhaps the chap who suggests tapping things with screwdrivers, knows exactly what he's talking about, and is absolutely correct,.....but,...do we really want to start fiddling with boiler internals if we aren't a trained and qualified heating engineer ?.

Apart from the fact that doing so is probably illegal, it might well also prove to be unsafe, and potentially very dangerous, and or, expensive, and personally speaking, the idea of messing around with boilers fills me with horror.

My suggestion would be this, contact Worcester Bosch, yes, I know that might sound obvious, but it doesn't necessarily occur to everyone as a first option, Yellow pages might be the first thought of many people.

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/homeowner/customer-service/contact-centre

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/homeowner/our-company/head-office-contacts

Why contact Worcester Bosch ?, well, we've probably all had the experience of having to call in an, " expert ", of some sort to fix a problem, and then finding that they hadn't a clue, although they do know how to figure out a fee, which also usually includes a callout charge.

The thing about Worcester Bosch, ( and this may well also apply to other boiler companies, I can't say for sure), is that their technical service people are very helpful, and they really do know what they're doing and talking about, as do any local engineers that they recommend.

They can send one of their own service engineers to do repairs, although I imagine that a qualified, Worcester Bosch trained, local engineer would probably be a cheaper option.

They will recommend several local installers if you are getting a new system fitted, and those installers will have trained at Worcester Bosch, on that particular model of boiler.

I don't know if they will recommend a local engineer for service/repairs, but if not, you could always pretend that you are interested in getting a new boiler installed, and mention your own model, just make sure that some of the recommeded engineers are self employed, or small firms, because bigger outfits are sometimes only interested in installing complete new systems, and won't want to do small repair jobs.

Yes, I know that we all hate to pay repair bills, but at least that isn't so painful if the person we pay really is an expert and does a good job, and there are some things that just shouldn't be messed with except by an expert, gas and electrical equipment surely must come high on that list, surgery and stripping car engines also spring to mind.

Get an expert and get peace of mind, good luck.

Sponsored Links
When I first filled the system and restarted the boiler the display window showed the water temperature get very high very quickly u9 and then a square symbol flashing at it's diaginal corners. Since then it will run up to 75-80 dec and shut down until cool. Hot water side still running fine!

Jameshere has done a search on Worcester and found their manufacturing base as well as their regional training centres.

If he does a search on Junkers in Germany he'll find where it is made.

Fascinating but no help. Some people think that only Google is available to them. :LOL:

You have airlocked the boiler, you need to get the air out. If all else fails, turn it off and try flushing mains water through the system, taking care.

Worcester Bosch service do not do airlocks, that is an installation issue.

The thing about Worcester Bosch, ( and this may well also apply to other boiler companies, I can't say for sure), is that their technical service people are very helpful, and they really do know what they're doing and talking about, as do any local engineers that they recommend.

Obviously you haven't been on a tour of their factory.
The call centre is made up of mainly female call operators (some looked like page 3 models ;) ). They read back what is found on installation manual, then they tell you its a faulty pcb or gas valve :rolleyes: :rolleyes: followed by "would you like to arrange a service call"

They can send one of their own service engineers to do repairs, although I imagine that a qualified, Worcester Bosch trained, local engineer would probably be a cheaper option.

It use to be £185, but you must pay £225. If the hex ain't gone then they re emburse you £40.00.

Out of 3 local WB engineers in our area, 1 is good and the other 2 are bloody useless.
We have had gas leaks, water leaks and a system left empty after one WB engineer.
The other t**T decided, after repairs, he would commission the heatslave we just fitted.
Said in front of customer that we had messed up the combustion and pump pressure. When I told him our fga was only serviced 2 weeks ago (by ges) he said his kane was spot on.

Checked my fga at local college. There was approx 0.5% difference on 4 fga units that we used to compare co%.
Went back to oil boiler and had to reset it with our fga.
This t**t even phone me to ask what was wrong with a 400 we called WB out to.
3 visits later he still has not got it working properly. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dont install carp WB gas or their oil boilers anymore. bliss :cool:

Thank you everyone for your rerplies. Will do as everyone suggsted, I'll keep you posted. Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back