Ridge tiles

cdh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to refix the ridge tiles on my roof that have come loose and also the end row of tiles (redland 50 double romans) that sit on the cloaking.

What strength of mortar mix should I use?

Also, I have been told that for the tiles that sit on the cloaking, it is best to 3/4 fill the gap, let it set for a day and then fill remainder & finish as this would reduce cracking. Is this usual practice?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
3 to 1 sand and cement mix is best for roofing work. (any weaker and it may wash out with rain)

Add a small dose of mortar plasticiser to prevent it drying out too quickly and cracking. Avoid doing the work on really hot days as it may still dry too quickly and crack.

I normally lay verge/gable tiles in one go. If the gap is very deep try using a course building sand rather than a silty building sand.

If you make the cement too wet and sloppy you will have a nightmare with it slumping out - so your mix needs to have 'strength' (not sloppy)

I normally bed the gable tiles down, scrape off any excess and move on to the next tile. I only smooth off the surface when the cement has stiffened a little - otherwise it may slump. i normally wait 15 - 20 mins before smoothing off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back