EMPTY MANHOLE - CAN I REMOVE????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there

i am about to lay a 2.4x3m deck in my front garden. I have a small problem; there is a manhole underneath where I plan to put the decking and it also is raised above ground level higher than required.

After my neighbour and I lifted the cover, we were shocked to find that the metre-deep hole was completely empty. No pipework, holes, taps, nothing. It is solid at the base and bricked all the way round the sides.

My question really is am I allowed to remove this cover and fill in the hole to make my life easier? Obviously I would never dream of such a thing if there was anything in there that needed access but it is truly empty.

Diagonally adjacent to said manhole is another manhole on the path next to my garden (but outside of my property boundary) We also lifted this cover to find absolutley nothing inside it either - how strange!? This one is not as deep probably only measuring 500-600mm deep.

Does anyone know what these are for? I think maybe they were a mistake when building the properties ( I live on a modern late 80's/90's estate - if you can still call that modern!?) I am thinking as with most estate builds it was a rushed job and they put them in as a precaution/original plan, but the drainage plan had since changed before completion but the manholes left, rather than them bothering to fill in???

has anyone ever heard of this and would I be wrong to fill in the one on my land as it is causing me real difficulties!!?!

many Thanks for reading and I hope someone can offer some advice!

E ;-P

Sponsored Links
picture down the manhole.. we don't believe you that it's empty and has no inlets..

Omg! I can't believe I am being questioned!!! Who in their right mind would fill in a working manhole.. That is just stupid. I will take photos thisevening to proveit to you.

So are we saying no one has ever come across an unused inspection chamber before?

Sponsored Links
Who in their right mind would fill in a working manhole..

you'd be suprised!!

i'm sure you can get sewage/drainage plans from your local council which maps out manholes and inspection chambers (the builders got them when doing our conservatory)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back