move fence post with water - can it be done

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
problem neighbour, fence going over in wind, wont allow repair etc based on this :

he says the fence was put up incorrectly and he lost 6 inch of land, he wont agree to any work (even if fence goes over) until he has his 6 inches back.

could go through legal argy-bargy where solicitors get rich, or, assume he is right and play ball.

as the fence is ok, just posts listing over, my idea is - yes its gunna sound barking mad but hey the guy will be happy if it can be done !

if i soak the ground around the posts, they are going back and for now in the wind, will soaking the soil be enough to gradually (in the soil) lever the posts over by 6 in and then add a god father my side/fill etc.

is a joint fence, guy could well be telling the truth about he lost 6 inches when our house/ previous owner replaced fence. even if its a wind up, giving in to 6 inch is easier than having a legal battle of boundary measurements and then neighbour upset.

does anyone know if soaking the soil around the rocking posts will be enough to sodden the ground to lever them over and then reset?

Sponsored Links
are they bending towards youir land, or away?

what type of soil?

top part of post and attached panels are listing 25 degrees into guys garden, soil isn't clay, just normal dirt. the fence goes back 'n' fro in wind, only reason i think its not gone over is the original concrete holding posts is wayed down by his flower tubs and the tubs are acting as a temp godfather. if the tubs were moved, a high gust would probably send the lot over.

you can pull them back by putting a stake at an angle and fixing a guy rope or wire. Hanging a heavy weight on it will apply a persistent load to the post and it will gradually move towards you and not go back. You will have to imporove the sideways support to prevent it moving again. The heavy weight will be easier than trying to lever it back in one go, but slower. It will accomodate a bit of movement with the wind but will keep pulling

I would use a concrete spur and a wider concrete block to resist wind movement but if you have e.g. a flower bed, a permanant rigid "guy" would I think be even better.

When some of my concrete posts moved in storms (I live on the coast) I pulled them back and cast a much wider concrete block in the ground against the lee side, as the wind was pushing the old blocks into the ground when soft with heavy rain

Sponsored Links
cheers john

will speak to guy and see if he's up for that.

like i said, it aint worth argueing if he's right or not, if he is happy with me trying to move the post 6 inches and feels he has his land back then great, he's happy, problem sorted and the fact i can still can chat to neighbour - priceless, though a solicitor would obviously prefer it if we argued and ran up bills re land measuring :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back