Repairing a fire parapet wall on a Victorian roof - cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a Victorian "halls adjoining" house. My neighbour had his roof repaired a couple of years ago and this included his side of the fire parapet wall which separates our two roofs. His builder was supposed to repair my side at the same time but there was a communications failure and he left the site without doing it. It is now in poor condition.

Recently a roofer working in the area knocked me up and offered to quote for mending my side of the parapet wall. He went up his ladder, had a look, came down and said it was in poor condition (which I knew already) and would cost £650 to repair. it seems a bit high to me.

Is £650 reasonable for a repair of this type? I live in south London.

Also my neighbour's repaired wall has external lead flashings where it joins the roof tiles. On my side the flashing is under the roof tiles where they abut the wall and I cannot see what the material used is. It may be lead it may be galvanised tin, I cannot tell. I am not about to go 60 feet up a ladder to find out. Should any new flashing be external and be lead and how would this affect the cost? Should this really be done with scaffolding?

Rockette

Sponsored Links
Recently a roofer working in the area knocked me up and offered to quote for mending my side of the parapet wall.

the alarm bells should be ringing! people who conduct business in this manner should not be entertained !!!

It may be lead it may be galvanised tin,

it can be either but most likely to be lead.

Should any new flashing be external and be lead and how would this affect the cost?

either method is acceptable! putting the lead apron on top of the slates/tiles would be quicker therefore saving on labour costs.

always a better job in lead which is more expensive.

Should this really be done with scaffolding?

at 60ft i should think a tower scaffold would be the professional way to tackle a job such as that.

get 3 quotes from roofing contractors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back