Replacing pitched garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

My current garage pitched roof is leaking from various places. I have made numerous repairs this year and last year. I have been informed that it is a corrugated fiberous cement material which has about a 10 year life span.

Anyway, I need to replace it and was after some recommendations. I notice that Wickes do a bitumen based corrugated sheet, which may suffice, but not sure if this will go the same way as my current roof.

Thanks for any help.

Dan.

Sponsored Links
Hi folks,

My current garage pitched roof is leaking from various places. I have made numerous repairs this year and last year. I have been informed that it is a corrugated fiberous cement material which has about a 10 year life span.

Anyway, I need to replace it and was after some recommendations. I notice that Wickes do a bitumen based corrugated sheet, which may suffice, but not sure if this will go the same way as my current roof.

Thanks for any help.

Dan.

Hi Dan,

First thing I would suggest. Get that porous stuff tested. It'll cost you very little and and possibly save you a whopper of a bill later. I speak from experience.

That aside, we use an EPDM rubber membrane. It costs a little more but I would say its the best stuff. Lay it and 20 years later it is still going strong. That's how long it is guranteed for.

Now I know bitmen products are cheaper but it's economic. Bitumen lasts 10 years, costs 2/3 if not 3/4 quarters of EPDM and yet EPDM lasts twice as long.

Cheers

Nick

Hi folks,

Thanks for any help.

Dan.

Hi Dan,

First thing I would suggest. Get that porous stuff tested. It'll cost you very little and and possibly save you a whopper of a bill later. I speak from experience.

That aside, we use an EPDM rubber membrane. It costs a little more but I would say its the best stuff. Lay it and 20 years later it is still going strong. That's how long it is guranteed for.

Now I know bitmen products are cheaper but it's economic. Bitumen lasts 10 years, costs 2/3 if not 3/4 quarters of EPDM and yet EPDM lasts twice as long. Have a look at our site for some more info

Cheers

Nick
http://ahbroofsandlofts.co.uk/services/new-roofs/

Sponsored Links
Thanks Noseall – I suspected the Bitumen based stuff would have a similar life expectancy to what I have got.

Thanks for your comments Nick. The problem I have is that the roof is made up of 12 sheets, 6 each side, and pretty much all of them have cracks in them, some nearly 1 metre in length. So, I have concluded that the roof is passed its best and wouldn’t support the rubber membrane you refer to.

Are there any suitable products that I can lay, metal sheet products maybe?

Cheers.

Dan.

Corrugated fibre cement should last longer than 10 years. It's the cracks that are the problem. Either they are not properly supported by the roof structure, not securely fastened and the winds got to 'em, or someone's been walking about on there.

You can buy isoflex or a similar repair product, but I wouldn't bother if there are loads of cracks.

I'd go with your first choice purely from an economical view, they are pretty cheap and should give you another ten years easy.

There are many other options though, from galvanised corrugated sheets, plastic coated steel profiled sheets, board and felt or board and shingle.

Whatever you go for follow the manufacturers instructions to the letter and beef up the rafters/trusses if need be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back