Fitting water pipe in garden

K

Klaus_K

I'd like to fit a long-ish water pipe to go from the back of our house to the top of the garden (up a bit of a slope). It'll probably be 100-150' in total.

First thing: is this a legal/safe thing to do?

2nd - assuming it is, can I go from copper main (inside) -> copper double-check valve -> MDPE -> stop cock -> MDPE through wall and then MDPE to the top of the garden?

We have a fence along the edge of the garden, so I was hoping I could clip the pipe-work to the fence - is this OK?

Thanks

KK

Sponsored Links
Assuming it just a garden tap you want to put up there, you can do as you like and I'd recommend a roll of 15mm pipe and not the larger bore blue MPDE. If you do clip it to the fence, remember to drain it each winter to prevent it freezing, in which case you need to install a drainoff valve just after the double check valve indoors.

If it's for a building of some sort, it should be buried in a trench at least 750mm deep.

It's just so my wife can water her plants, so no big complications.

wrt the drain-off valve - does that have to be indoors, or can that be on the outside wall? It'd be quite convenient outside, because our waste feeds into an open drain type affair, so it'd be ideal to drain water the pipe into this too, each winter time.

The problem would be if it was inside, that there'd be nowhere to drain it into, without the risk of a flood in the kitchen.[/i]

Sponsored Links
It's just so my wife can water her plants, so no big complications.

wrt the drain-off valve - does that have to be indoors, or can that be on the outside wall? It'd be quite convenient outside, because our waste feeds into an open drain type affair, so it'd be ideal to drain water the pipe into this too, each winter time.

The problem would be if it was inside, that there'd be nowhere to drain it into, without the risk of a flood in the kitchen.[/i]

The valve should be indoors (to prevent freezing), but you can run a permanent hose outside from it, so when you drain off the pipe it won't affect indoors. (An idea would be to use a washing-machine kit)

... I'd recommend a roll of 15mm pipe and not the larger bore blue MPDE.

Do you mean bog standard hose pipe, or 15mm MDPE?

Can you recommend a suitable supplier (I'm not trade) since I don't want to spend any more than I have to!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back