what mix should I use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a novice who wants to teach myself the basics of bricklaying.Can anyone tell me what kind of mix is used at Colleges.Do they use the real thing or something like lime and sand.

Sponsored Links
it was a long time since i was in college, but we used sand and lime mixed at 8 sand and one lime. be careful with the lime not nice in the eyes. easy to clean off the bricks and remix

Its about 4x sand to 1x cement depending on how you want it.
You could also add 1x lime.

Sponsored Links
"Masonry" can be laid in mortar varying in strength from 3:1 up to 6:1, depending upon the porosity of the material being laid and the location of that material within the building.

Typically a harder brick will be laid in a stronger mix as will bricks or blocks that are subject to much damp, salts or sulphates.

Aerated blocks for instance should be laid in a weaker 6:1 type mortar.

i think we could confuse the op here, i think he just wants to practice with a weak mix till he gets the hang of it, so no cement is needed

i think we could confuse the op here, i think he just wants to practice with a weak mix till he gets the hang of it, so no cement is needed
Well spoted; always best to understand the OP's question before giving an answer :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back