Repair brickwork after extractor removed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am sure this is a simple one for you experts but....

I have repositioned an extractor fan from the hood above my cooker. This now means that I have a hole through to the outside brickwork.

What is the best way to fill this hole and what is the best type of cement/plaster product to use on the outside wall? My bricks are a pale/stone colour.

Is that expanding foam stuff suitable for filling the hole?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Sponsored Links
The best repair would be to get some matching bricks and build in, rather than having a pugged in hole in the face work.

Toothe out the damaged bricks, mix some mortar and bang in the new ones.

Foam - no way.

I guess I should try and find some bricks then? Do Builders merchants sell individual bricks? I will need about 4

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will take a sample from the surrounding area and try to get a match.

One more stupid question. Is there a specific type of cement that I should use to put the bricks back in or is cement just cement? A link would be nice :)

Just buy a bag of redi-mix brick laying mortar, all the sheds & BM's sell it; just add the cement (inside a separate bag) to the sand/line mix & add water. You will only need to use about 1/3 of the bag.

Might not be possible in this case, but when relocating a vent, it is sometimes better to use a core drill, and then the core cut out of the new hole can go in the old one.

Then when jointed and blended in, it can be less obtrusive than a patch of new bricks

Good idea Woody, I might use it next time I move a door opening.

Mutley_laughing.gif

I think woodstock may have been a golf green-keeper, as his method of repair is exactly the same process of moving the golf hole around the putting surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back