How to stop door slamming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The front door of my flat is susceptible to slamming. The door is between my flat and a communal stairwell. The door is fitted with a concealed chain type closer (I'm not sure if it has a proper name...) between the door and frame. The combination of the concealed closer and airflow (I always keep the kitchen window open and there's usually a window open in the stairwell) means the door slams if you don't hold it.

Any suggestions on how to stop the door slamming? I know to hold it but guests and friends often forget and the resultant slamming (understandably) annoys the neighbours. I also appreciate that the closer is there for fire-safety reasons...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Change it to an overhead closer then you can adjust the speed it closes at

Looking more at the subject makes me think a closer is no longer required for fire reasons... In that case I'm tempted to remove it completely. It's my front door so it's not like I leave it open other than to walk through it!

Opinions?

Thanks!

Fit a dictator device to the top of the door.

This is a small hydraulic cylinder and wheel which catches the door before it hits the frame, and causes it to close slowly

Edit

Front doors in flats above 2 storeys should have a self-closing device

Sponsored Links
jay - your mystery door closer is a Perko door closer and is one type of device that had to be fitted (and remain fitted!!!) to your type of fire door ... you should not remove it. Fit a door damper (^woody^'s DICTATOR door check {google for pic & info} or similar) as this will solve the problem and keep you legal.

I've now tried something similar to the slam-stop but instead of slowing down the closing of the door, it actually stops it if it's going too quickly and doesn't then release it. It's something like the mechanism of a car seat belt reel, the pressure needs to be released before the door will close.

The dictator looks perfect apart from the price, the cheapest I can find them for is ~£65 and that's a lot more than I want to spend on stopping the door slamming...

Any more suggestions?

Many thanks!

Hi there,

I'm wondering if you're able to help. I live in a tiny bedsit in Kent. Recently a neighbour moved into the bedsit next to me. During the night she often goes in and out of the bedsit, and although she doesn't slam her door. She closes it in a way, that there is always a bang at the end. Admittedly it's not very loud, but each time it happens, this bang wakes me, not helped by the fact I'm a light sleeper. I have asked her to close the door quietly, but unfortunately things haven't improved. I know this can be done, as I never heard my previous neighbour who lived there for over 8 years. This has been going on for weeks now, and I'm feeling very sleep deprived.

Would I be able to be a device that would stop the door banging? Or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Daniela

Concealed door closers (Perko and such) are not very adjustable and air pressure can alter the characteristics.

A Dictator is really for heavier doors and thus not suitable.

A main door would benefit from a LCN door closer but not cheap at £240 ish.

For smaller internal doors a well adjusted overhead closer is best.
A cheap but reliable one is the draper one.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...IG0TZ-sIYSp8AP2_aCWDA&ved=0CIQBEPMCMAc#cond=1

Although Yale and several others do similar. Just fit them correctly and that should be it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back