Shingles on a shallow 5° Workshop Roof, - A possibility?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently building a posh shed and the pitched roof is only 5°.

Roof area is about 26.6²

Today I found a post on another forum where sombody said using an ice and watershield underneath would make it feasable to use shingles on a shallow pitch.

I've been looking onto ways to cover it including http://www.ruberoid.co.uk/ products, their coldseal self adhesive system would cost at least £600 to cover the roof, which I dont want to spend.

In comparison would only cost about £190 for Katepal shingles (not inc underlay).

Here is the actual forum post I was referring to.

"If I use shingles on a low slope (2"- 4" on 12"), I use an ice and watershield underneath. It is a roof in itself, but cannot be exposed to the sunlight. The shingles will protect the ice and watershield from the sun and you will adequate waterproofing underneath.

Keep in mind, shingles are water SHEDDERS, not water PROOFERS.
If water doesn't run off the roof fast enough, it WILL backup under the shingles.

An ice and water shield product under shingles that are on a 1.5" on 12" "might" work, but there is NOT a manufacturer on the planet that will warranty their shingle on it.
I would use a torch/mop/cold-process modified roof on it. (Although there are other ways that will work)

Good luck.
"

Any comments guys?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back