garage footings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Im looking at building a timber framed garage with pvc coated metal gladding on the outside. I plan on putting footings in and then a couple of courses of blocks and then building the frame on top of the blocks with the compacted hardcore and concrete base in between the blocks. Being fairly lightweight construction, what depth and size do theses footings need to be? I was advised on here to dig 1m down 400 wide and fill 250 for building a single leaf brick wall however my plans have changed to the timber frame. Do the footings need to be the same ?

many thanks

Pippo

Sponsored Links
You will probably get away with 600mm deep if the ground is good.

Peg the concrete at 250mm thick and 300mm wide.

Right im gonna start digging tonight.

I have my eye on an ebay cement mixer as I can use it for the base too. ive calculated that I will need 1.38m3 of concrete. I will order some cement and ballast tomorrow and get cracking at the weekend.

Can someone advise me what mix of ballast/cement I need for the footings and how many 25kg portland bags and bulk bags of ballast? Also do I need mesh in the footings?

cheers

Pippo

Sponsored Links
You will need approx' 2.5 tonnes of ballast (you may have a bit left over), 17 x 25kg bags of dust and mix it at 6:1.

No need for reinforcing mesh.

sorry to butt into your thread pippo, building a garage myself (with blocks)

how do i workout how much ballast/cement I need?

whats the calculation for say 1 cubic ft? (cement & ballast)

also how much does a standard size (wickes) blue circle cement weigh in kg?
what is the ratio for footings also (concrete blocks) :LOL: any help would be great

thanks and sorry for hijacking, hope you enjoy your build op

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back