Recommended beam size for Loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to convert the loft of a terraced house into a bedroom. I measured the size of current beams and they are 6” x 2 ½” . What is the recommended size for a loft conversion? I also noticed that the loft seams to already have some frame work in there and it seems that at some stage plaster boards where nailed to it (the nails are still in there) there is also a door frame on one side.

Sponsored Links
I don't fully understand what you mean but here is what I know, there is a support wall in the middle of the building and the beams spread around 14 foot both ways. Hope this makes sense.

The conversion needs to be designed - taking into account the current structure, loads, spans, existing timbers, access, etc

You can't just ask "what size beam do I need"

You will need beams to span across the loft between the party walls, these will support the existing roof rafters and new floor joists which needs to go in

Allowance needs to be made for a new staircase, with timbers trimmed around this, and you need to be able to get out if there is a fire.

You have not mentioned building regulations, but you will need to get approval for this work. And part of that approval will be that the work is properly designed and constructed - not based off a post in a forum :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Calm down ^woody^.

Where in my post did I say "I am starting my loft conversion and I need people on the forum to tell me how to do it?"
Did I mention I wasn't doing to bother with building regulation? Then what gave you the impression that wasn't bothering with building regulations?

Yes, I will use an architect to draw up plans and a few builders to quote for the work, when I'm ready for the conversion.

I think a discussion forum is for general “discussions”, maybe you should think about that.

Roughly around 200 deep joists assuming the wall is supporting and can take the load and the joists won't be supporting the roof. Probably! You're original and subsequent posts really are very vague.

Then what gave you the impression that wasn't bothering with building regulations?

It was this ...

"I want to convert the loft of a terraced house into a bedroom. I measured the size of current beams ..... What is the recommended size for a loft conversion"

And also the title. :rolleyes:

If you want a recommendation, then I'd recommend a beam made of Balsa wood, as it is easier to lift. Or if you want it to look olde worlde, then I would recommend one made of Oak as they look nice stained. Or if you want to help the steel industry, then I'd recommend one made of steel

Perhaps we can discuss these options "generally"?:cool:

Then what gave you the impression that wasn't bothering with building regulations?

It was this ...

"I want to convert the loft of a terraced house into a bedroom. I measured the size of current beams ..... What is the recommended size for a loft conversion"

And also the title. :rolleyes:

If you want a recommendation, then I'd recommend a beam made of Balsa wood, as it is easier to lift. Or if you want it to look olde worlde, then I would recommend one made of Oak as they look nice stained. Or if you want to help the steel industry, then I'd recommend one made of steel

Perhaps we can discuss these options "generally"?:cool:

Maybe not everyone asking questions on this forum are a builder or an architect. So an ordinary homeowner should be able to ask a simply question without getting an arsey response.
If the answer really was that complicated as you “make it sound” it could have been put in a better way. Unless obviously you are ill mannered person and this is the only way you can express yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back