clay soil pipe encased in concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building an extension with a concrete floor over an existing soil pipe which is encased in concrete. Where the soil pipe leaves the new build I want to add a rain water gully. How easy is it to remove concrete outer casing externally, to expose enough pipe to cut and add a branch off to my new plastic gully?

Sponsored Links
How easy is it to remove concrete outer casing externally, to expose enough pipe to cut and add a branch off to my new plastic gully?

It depends upon how skilled you are with a breaker, how strong the concrete is and the amount around the pipe. They did tend to lay a majority of the concrete topside, so dig completely around the pipe and peck away carefully.

It's not an easy job as the pipes get brittle with age. Use a small really sharp chisel when you get near the pipe and take small bits off at a time.

thanks for replies, I'll go at it carefully. If I get the majority of concrete off the pipe is there a recommended way to cut the pipe so as to get a nice clean edge ? Diamong disc cutter ? And is there a flexible coupling which will fit over both ends. I imagine a push fit wont slide on that easy !

Sponsored Links
is there a flexible coupling which will fit over both ends. I imagine a push fit wont slide on that easy !

Most plastic drain suppliers will sell a proprietary fitting for this purpose, i.e. a thick wall salt glaze - plastic connector.

...or use a fernco rubber jubilee clip type. They are similar in cost. Use plenty of lube when fitting.

Either way you will need to round the edges of the pipe with a stone cutting grinder disc. The pipe itself can be easily cut with a decent diamond tipped blade in an angle grinder.
4D129_DS_Adaptor_to_thinwall_Clay.jpg
fernco_reducing_flexible_coupling.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back