block wall off floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi This is my first post, so hello to everybody from Yorkshire.
My question is that i have a ground floor level door opening (1.5m wide). I need to build it up.
i have a suspended timber floor with the floorboards running right through the opening into the next room.
I was going to build it up in studwalling, but my builder says he wants to build it up with the lightest blockwork straight off the boards. Is this ok?
My thoughts are that the bockwork will probably be no heavier than a studwall and the studwall would be built straight off th floorboards. So it would be ok!
Any thoughts?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Blockwork used to be built off timber sole plates which were fixed to the floor if they were non load bearing. Usually in 3 or even 2 inch blocks.

Not impossible to lay blocks on a timber floor but be careful of the loads. The average partition will be about 25kg/m² whereas the lightest blocks (at 450...ish kgs/m³) will be 45kg/m² plus the plaster. i.e about three times heavier. And that's for the lightest blocks - which aren't the average blocks. Average blocks are 600kg/m³.

What's the reason for blocks rather than partition?

Sponsored Links
You say 'build up' - do you mean 'block up' (one of the same thing really, just a matter of interpretaion!) Any reason why you could not go for a lightweight timber stud wall if all your looking to do is block up the opening?

Blockwork is no longer built off timber floors/joists for a reason.

That reason being: it's f*cking stupid.

Evolution works in the building trade, as well as the human species. But, inevitably, there are those that do not progress. Sounds like you've happened upon one of the *******.

Blockwork is no longer built off timber floors/joists for a reason.

That reason being: it's f*cking stupid.

Evolution works in the building trade, as well as the human species. But, inevitably, there are those that do not progress. Sounds like you've happened upon one of the *******.

Mutley_laughing.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back