Flashing into rendered side wall abutment, Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm about halfway through slating a shed/workshop roof which abuts another shed, and I'm looking ahead to flashing.The other shed is breeze block (large blocks with holes in the middle??) and has a rendered finish.

I've read that to install lead flashing a channel of 25mm should be cut / grinded into brickwork. So with a rendered wall do I cut in 25mm plus render say 50mm in total.

What else do i need to know / take into account ??

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi The easiest way is to lay say a 100 mm board against abutment wall and its edge on roof, the top edge gives you a line to work to. The grove you are cutting needs to be perfectly straight to accommodate the lead flashing. The depth of chase needs to be say 35 mm from the face of the render, this will provide sufficient depth for the 30 mm turn on the sheet lead flashing. You may need make the chase wider at any point where the lead is lapped. Good Luck

Cheers justlead1,

What would you recommend using to case the channel?

I've been told to use a grinder, am I right in thinking I'd have to grind two parrallel channels and chisel out the middle to make it wide enough to fit led and lead wedges?

Don't think you need to cut a chase - just a groove. (Code 4) Lead can be held in place every 450mm with any thin wedge you can get in there, then run silicon along the top to make it waterproof. Make the strips no longer than 1.5m and overlap by 100mm

Sponsored Links
Also, you can pick up 4" diamond blades which are about 8mm thick which are perfect for grinding out for lead Gives plenty of space for the lead and bullets. Not particuarly expensive either

I wouldn't use silicon on lead-work. Use something like leadmate or similar.Silicon reacts with the lead....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back