DPC above weeper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new build house has the DPC installed above the weeper vents.
Is this normal practise, and correct?

I know the patio base has been laid to close to the DPC (fecking cowboy landscape gardener), but just thought it odd that it was at the top, not below the weeper vent.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You are right, if they're going to be fitted they should be above, as to their value in real terms thats another story. Whoever the bricky was apart from being a bit retarded he seems to have done the brickwork ok if the rest of the wall looks like that was I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Weep hole looks wrong way round to me, can you show a larger pic of area concerned. Cavity tray or dpm can be put bellow dpc, at a guess would say you are in a radon gas area and the brickies have used the dpm to form the cavity tray then normal dpc above.But would like to see a bigger pic, could be a double dpc next to door in anticipation of ramped approach ??

Thanks guys....

Here's another showing the whole of the rear of the house.

I cant see any additional DPC's anywhere else in the mortar. It looks like it is level across the back of the house, sitting on top of all the weepers, and runs directly along the course which is underneath the white patio door frame.

I've added a light blue line highlighting the course where it is on.

If has been put in the wrong way, is there any way or need to correct it, i.e is there any ramifications of it being left like this?

Will this be picked up on a survey and cause problems with resale, etc.

Sponsored Links
It looks like it could be a timber framed house, as these tend to have more weep holes for ventilation as well as draining the cavity. On the old cavity wall designs the weepholes used to be 2 courses below DPC, just above the lean mix infill. The theory was that any water running down the cavity wouldn't build up on the concrete but run out of the holes. In practice the mortar dropping usually covered them so they were ineffective. They were rarely used at DPC level on cavity walls. However nowadays they are usually put in timber framed buildings at DPC level, usually just above but sometimes just below for ventilation and as a cavity drain. Whether they are really needed is a matter of opinion. I doubt if a surveyor will pick up on one being upside down, or back to front.

In practice the mortar dropping usually covered them so they were ineffective.
Yea infact the one in GrantF's first photy looks half full of mortar! :LOL:

A keen surveyor might pick it up, to change them now would be a pain and it'd probably just end up catching your eye anyway with 2 rows of weeps. You could drill some holes in the mortar joints just above the dpc if you were that worried but you'd probably puncture the dpc the other side at some point. I'd leave it alone and really wouldn't worry.

Now, if you had no dpc, that'd be worth worrying about!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back