How do I make a wooden fence taller?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 6 foot tall palisade type fence with vertical spaced boards and cross rails.I want to make it 1 to 2 feet taller.Any suggestions out there?

Sponsored Links
First, to make it more that 6'6" you must seek planning permission as thats the maximum legal height without it.

Then as suggested, you can screw trellis to it, screw some some battens to the posts and fit your trellis to that.
If you want to do this without planning permission then a way around it is to fit some stand alone posts (not connected to the fence) directly in front that the trellis is fitted to).

Do not think that you can simply screw/nail trellis to the top of the fence panels as the next really windy day will see it all come down, you must have vertical supports that extend down the posts for at least the hight of the trellis.

Try putting some compost round the bottom of it and watering it :p

Sponsored Links
AFAIK viewed from the side of the fence owner/bottom of the fence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back