Fixing a slipped roof tile?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

One of my roof tiles has become dislodged during the recent storm and is currently sitting in one piece in my guttering. I have been ringing roofers who have quoted hundreds of pounds to fix as it involves using tower scaffolding to fit with H&S regs. One of the roofers suggsted I find a man with a van who does not have to conform to H&S - however some of the ones I have rung do not have a roof ladder. Who is the best tradesman to contact to fix a single tile which I have been told (and know) is a 10-15 min job. I was thinking I would have to pay about £50 if only I knew who would do it! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Borrow some kit and d-i-y.:cool:

Seriously, if you are paying more than 50 rips then you are paying too much. When i first started on my own this was bread and butter stuff. H & S are killing the trade whilst saving no lives whatsoever.

LOL to the DIY! Whilst not a traditionalist I am a young female (5'2" to add in terms of reaching a tile on the roof!) with no DIY skills at all except maybe putting up the odd shelf. It seems ridiculous that H&S dictates in cases of one slipped tile costing people hundreds of pounds for some scaffolding.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, It is easy for people here to say.."you wont need scaffold blah blah blah" but has anyone seen it?.

10 -15 minute job?..drive to job, put ladders up, do repair, take ladders down, drive to next job....

Cost me a couple of hundred pounds..... If the guy has an accident will you be paying his mortgage until he is better?

to get a definative answer, post a picture..

ok i'll rephrase that..........from a H+S point of view its always safer and easier to have a scaffold erected when working at height! though from a practical point of view to erect a scaffold every time access was required to a roof would be both impractical and uneconomical.

If you go into the loft can you access the gap where the tile is missing from (only applies if your roof is unfelted/uninsulated)

What sort of roof tile is it? i.e concrete interlocked, plain pantile , slate etc, it will depend on the tile as some are bu---ers to refit and as stated H& s is now a big issue however the good news is if it's caught in the guttering it may save tou forking out for a newee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back