Lead valley / gutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having problems with the lead work in the valley between my house and next door, the lead was mistakenly fitted in one length and is now cracking, with slight leaks in both properties (stains on bedroom wall)
I realise that the lead should be in shorter pieces, but cannot find much info about forming joints or overlaps, the valley is almost flat (very little fall to the outlet) with no steps along its length.
By creating a "joint" part way along,how would i prevent forming a trough which would hold water ? (or would a small amout of water not be a problem)
Also i realise the bottom couple of rows of slates would need removing on both houses to replace the lead. Is there an easy way to remove them without doing to much damage or stripping to much roof (can't see how i could use the slate ripper in the valley, unless i make a shorter version)
My final question is how to refit the slates neatly without having a row of tabs to hold them
Any help much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Hi. You are correct in your verdict of the situation. There is a product available that may help. "T Pren" or a like is a neoprene strip bonded to sheet lead, the purpose being to absorb the expansion and contraction withing the neoprene strip. Fitting this product requires the skills of a lead worker / welder, if the fractures/fatigue on existing lead can be identified the expansion joints can be welded in at these points. It would not require all the slates to be removed, only those local to the repair. Good Luck PS There is a lead man in your area that uses this site.

Thanks for your reply justlead, i've just searched for the "t-pren" it seems an ideal product although very expensive. Would a conventional style joint which would hold back a small pool of water be a problem ?
(who is the mystery lead man in my area, thought he may of made a comment on here ;) )

Hi. T Prene is sold in 3 m lengths, however lead workers may well only charge for that which is used. Although a 1:80 fall is considered to be the min. Vessels that hold water/acids are lined with lead so polling is not a major problem, However a fall help with self cleaning of the gutter. Something flatter will need planned maintenance. The lead worker who posts on this site is known as leadman. Good Luck

Sponsored Links
. Would a conventional style joint which would hold back a small pool of water be a problem ?
( )
I did one like that about 30 years ago, for a M8`s cousin. Haven`t heard from him since -saying it leaked. I might just check it out ;)

You'd be better off relaying the whole lot with a step or 2, once lead has stretched enough to crack it has a tendancy to keep cracking. Call a roofer, leadwelder in for a quote, wont be cheap though. Another solution is laying a fibreglass flat roof there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back