shed roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The ply thats under the felt on my shed roof has rotted through and the felt has had its day as well.. I want to replace the roof, is it better to replace with WBP ply or could I get way with OSB, my thinking is that if the OSB is covered with a relatively decent quality felt and is laid properly than I don't see a need for the Ply?

Secondly. I have never laid felt before, so my questions to the kind people on this forum is, what materials do I need, i.e, I think felt goes down in three layers, are these layers all the same, or is there an underfelt an intermediary felt then the green finish felt you see on top???, Also with regards to the felt itself, how much do you think I should be looking at spending to get a relatively good quality felt, bearing in mind where near to the sea and there's are lots of rats with wings around that like pecking it.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Sponsored Links
Try and be a bit more patient, people give their spare time up for free on here FFS and stop SHOUTING! Jeez! Furthermore, these questions have been asked and answered dozens of times before.

Try epdm flat roof membrane. I recon it is the easiest flat roofing material to install diy. Hot gas and tar not needed because it is an all cold process.

Have a look at this site; they have lots of example flat roof pictures using the rubber membrane: www.flat-roof-repair.co.uk

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much for the reply relating to the EDPM i will look into it, cheers.

By the way I wasn't shouting nor was I swearing for FFS.

Try epdm flat roof membrane.

And just how does that answer the original question?

FWIW I would use either outdoor ply or 15mm boarding and nail down a good quality (not shed roof quality) felt over. I wouldn't use anything that can't take water ingress because if you do get a leak for any reason you'll be back to square 1.

And EDPM for a shed? You must be joking!

OSB or 18mm wbp ply will be fine. Roof shingles (see Wickes website) are slightly more durable than felt. and patches can be replaced if they get pecked at.

Is'nt the title "Shed Roof"

If its a shed roof you dont need three layers of felt, its just one layer with a good overlap, and in the past the sheds i have had either had ship lap or just boards that provide a solid base for the felt, OSD will do the job :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back