roof nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my daughter bought a house with an attic conversion - which there is no way legal and in my opinion dangerous so i have told ger not to use it.
unfortunately she could smell damp coming from up there and asked me to take a look.
there are 3 velux windows up there, 2 of which seemed fine, the 3rd however had a black wall under it. on popping my head through the window to see if there was anything visible, there was not ....... no felt, no roof tiles butting up to the window.
unbelievable to think that they got away with this during the house sale, considering my daughter paid for a full house structural survey no mention of this has been made in the report......wazzaks

now despite being semi retired i find myself up on a roof, with little idea of what i have to do - but it does look straight forward enough, and with 4 estimates ranging from £295 - £500 to put 8 half tiles round a velux window.........

Sponsored Links
my daughter bought a house with an attic conversion - which there is no way legal and in my opinion dangerous so i have told ger not to use it.

And what was the professional opinion of the surveyor and Solicitor, as to its legitimacy and safety?

Black wall? Do you mean black mould? In which case it is condensation not penetrating damp, and the damp smell is the spores

Sponsored Links
I checked this out yesterday, the house was sold as a 2 bedroom house and the attic was not recognized as a bedroom or a conversion. No mention was made of the roof which was suprising as i found a few faults up there.
they had put the velux windows in and never replaced the tiles up to butt the window. the felt has for a while allowed the water to run off, however the felt had perished so whenever it rained the rain went straight through. looks like i caught it before too much damage was done, put new felt in and replaced the tiles round the window.
the space on the other side though was only half inch to the butt up to the velux surround so rather trying to cut tiles whilst sitting on the edge of the window 30ft in the air i put lead flashing in which will hopefully do the job for her....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back