Phone Numbers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im considering forming a compny to run along side with my current employment with the view to leave my current employment and work full time for myself, with a recession on I think this is the best option - for me anyway.

But Im stuck with phone numbers, I understand why people dont ring the traditional 0845 / 0870 numbers and I dont want to give out my home phone number, I dont really want the cost of a 0800 number, so I wondered if there was a way of having a 2nd local number which rang my home landline which I could divert as required.

Im with Virgin Media, what do you guys do in this situation?

Sponsored Links
Get an internet based VOIP number

Try www.sipgate.co.uk or similar which is free and will be a local number

Then divert the call or get something like a Fritzbox - which is connected after your modem or router and you plug your phone into it, and then will let you receive the internet calls on your home phone along with normal calls from the landline line

thanks I will take a look I was just looking at Skype, with skype I believe you have to pay a subscription but not with the one you linked me to, do I have to pay for call forwarding on this I assume so? Also I wonder if this could ring 2 landlines, - my partner, maybe I should ask these questions to the company itself, thanks for your help

Don't know if Virgin do it, but BT used to offer a second number for the same phone line, that had a different ring type, so you knew how to answer the phone when it rang, if you get my drift.

Sponsored Links
I believe BT dont offer this anymore and nor do Virgin, I think internet phone is the way to go :), keep my home number private and can put this number on bell boxes etc

But Im stuck with phone numbers, I understand why people dont ring the traditional 0845 / 0870 numbers and I dont want to give out my home phone number

you can't of checked the rates out properly as they are both two totally different rates.
i use an 0845 its charged at the local call rate from anywhere in the uk
which can also be used on your same phone line at home.

and as i own that number it can be transfered to anywhere any phone line.

and works out cheaper to use than phoning my home number
where as 0870 number are charged at national call rates

You could always get Virgin to install a 2nd phone line for you. There used to be a discount for the 2nd line, but I believe it's full price nowadays.

the problem with 0845 numbers seco, is that often arnt included in the minutes you get with mobile phone contracts... I get 300 minutes a month which I alsways have plenty of available but I phone a 0845 it'll charge me separatly for it :) ... better to find out the geographic phone number it corresponds to and phone that instead!

Non-geographic numbers usually put me off phoning as it makes me think national firm.
I'm even worse when one phones in!

My personal opinion is a local number is better and sipgate allow this, it can be diverted to any number although I'd pay for the cost of the call but right now for me its the way I need to go

BT broadband gives you a second line which can have a local or random number. Its called Broadband talk.

Sponsored Links
Back