Keep Being asked to sign off other peoples installs !

I'm not assuming you can obi, but surely only an idiot would sign off work as his own without checking/verifying it all first. If there's some of the system they cannot check and they're doubtful of, then they shouldn't sign it. If they do...the're an idiot! Maybe its a small enough job that they can check it out and certify it with confidence.
That's seems like common sense to me. A corgi guy would be risking a lot if he signed off work that he couldn't verify and then something subsequently went wrong with it. I mentioned professional suiide in an earlier post.

Is it a measure of a non-corgi fitters physical incompetence that he has to get a corgi fitter to sign off his work?
Or is it a measure of moral incompetence on the part of the corgi fitter who DOES sign off on someones elses work?

Plumbing paradox :)

In essence I agree with what you are saying Kjacko, At least someone is signing it off I suppose!

However, my previous point was how can you tell if a tradesman, in this case a plumber, who hasn't passed his ACS assessments is competent? By their very nature exams are, or at least should be a test of competence.

In the real world when a non registered fitter/plumber installs a system, it is most likely that the system will be commissioned and running prior to it being signed off.

Sponsored Links
However, my previous point was how can you tell if a tradesman, in this case a plumber, who hasn't passed his ACS assessments is competent? By their very nature exams are, or at least should be a test of competence.

Yeah, i guess. And although the real world often proves different i suppose we have to have a benchmark so to speak.

For me, as an example, the exams to qualify you as a Network Technician (and allow you tinker with the I.T. infrastructure of a company) are multiple choice :rolleyes: which means competent or not, knowledgeable or not, you have a chance of actually achieving 100%, because if you don't know the answer you guess.....and you could get it right!
You could fluke the exam, then go on to balls up someones network and lose them millions of £s worth of valuable data and bring the company to its knees, because you didn't really know what you were doing, or you didn't know your job as well as you thought.
Scary! :confused:

edit:
[disclaimer] btw, i was speaking hypothetically. The above paragraph is not related to me or anyone i know [/disclaimer]
:D

I wouldn't come to such a conclusion :D

I think it would be true to say that very few people know their job as best as they can, in relative terms. You never stop learning.

I think that bodies as was Corgi as now GSR have to make the system seem a little less like a "club" because you can pass your exams, but until you join said "club" you are deemed "incompetent" and if you are registered with a firm as a PAYE engineer but do work on the side, again you are deemed the same.

I think, that system is fundamentally wrong. And should be more akin to a driving test.

Unfortunately where there's money to be made.....

But I still stand by, it's the only system we have right now and despite its downsides it has an important role

Until some government of the country legislates properly so that trades are properly regulated...it`ll be the same old :evil: I`ll bet I`ll not see it in my lifetime . You don`t need to be clever in this life ...Just Lucky ;)

Sponsored Links
Back