Worcester greenstar 30si problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new worcester greenstar 30si combi boiler. Recently, even though the central heating was off, the boiler started making loud noises in the early hours of the morning. The noise was like a vibrating, droning sound but very loud. The boiler has been working very quietly for three months and I've had no problems until now.

Those noises stopped the next day and the hot water is working fine. If I switch on the central heating, the boiler makes a few small grumbling, droning noises over a few minutes, I can hear water inside the boiler, more than usual - then the reset light (fault indicator) goes red and the blue light flashes. If I reset the boiler, the same thing happens. If I disable central heating it is working fine. Pressure guage is at around 1.5 and there is no air in the radiators.

The only thing that has happend recently is that I replaced the overflow pipe, just a screw-fit jobby so I havent taken off the cover or messed with the boiler in any way.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for answering.

It is connected at the left side from underneath, plastic pipe that exits into the drain pipe in my flat. If I look underneath, inside the boiler at the front left I can just about make out a small plastic square container which drains out to this pipe.

The pipe is connected using a standard plastic screw-fit connecter with a rubber washer. The reason I replaced it is because the original one had a crack in and was leaking.

Turn the boiler off, and don't use until corrected by an RGI. The pipe you have fiddled with has a direct connection to the flue and can blow fumes into the house if not connected correctly.
In stead of replacing it yourself, you should have called the installer back as your boiler is still under warrantee.

Sponsored Links
Turn the boiler off, and don't use until corrected by an RGI. The pipe you have fiddled with has a direct connection to the flue and can blow fumes into the house if not connected correctly.
In stead of replacing it yourself, you should have called the installer back as your boiler is still under warrantee.

No offence intended but I'm sorry that I totally disagree with you on that.

The pipe expels water from a small plastic container inside the boiler which fills up with cold water periodically. The pipe is very simple, glued together plastic and connects via a standard plastic threaded connector, similar to the kind of connector you see on the end of a washing machine inlet connector but slightly bigger. It is not directly connected to the flue, its a water waste pipe and it is connected out to the main water drainage.

I didnt replace the pipe with a new one, I just fixed it. The pipe is made of 12 mm plastic tubing that has been glued together. It contains two elbow joints, one of which must have been twisted after it was glued and the glued section inside had cracked, causing a leak. I simply unscrewed it from the boiler, repaired the crack with glue and screwed it back in.

There is no way this could have been incorrectly connected by myself, its a very simple plastic "finger and thumb" screw-in fitting.

To anyone else who would like to help...

I've learned that the plastic pipe is the pipe that expels condensed water so as I thought, it is neither dangerous, or the cause of this problem.

It could only be potentially dangerous if the pipe was removed completely and left like that.

I could replace it with any identical pipe with the same fittings without any concern at all. The pipe isnt blocked, nor is it fitted any differently to how it was the first time, its just had a simple repair.

The sounds of an illegal installer being caught out; the mention of a free of charge repair under warrantee as the answer would satisfy any normal person.

The sounds of an illegal installer being caught out; the mention of a free of charge repair under warrantee as the answer would satisfy any normal person.

You've had your chance and all you could do was say its my fault for "messing with the pipe" then you got argumenative with me when I disagreed with you. I dont want your help if you are going to behave like such a prat.

As it happens, I have great difficulty in contacting my landlord so if it can be identified as a simple problem and fixed without calling someone out, I'd rather take that route first if possible.

Please dont reply to this thread again. I'd like to hear from someone who posesses some basic communication skills.

From what I've read on other sites, the problem is more than likely down to the waste trap getting blocked with debris and preventing the condensed water from draining properly (I noticed it is just trickling through) - so the boiler is probably filling up with water and then shutting itself down.

Would anyone (other than bengasman) tend to agree with me on that?

Just came home, took the front cover off the boiler and sure enough, the plastic bottle that contains the condensed water was full of grit, causing a blockage so the water couldnt filter through.

I disconnected the bottle, gave it a very thorough wash out and put it back, reconnected the condensed water waste pipe (which there is nothing wrong with) and replaced the cover on the boiler.

Started up first time, no problem, switched the heating on, no noises, no grumbles - perfect!

How on earth did the condensate trap on a new boiler get blocked. I have been servicing these for years and it takes about two years to get anywhere near blocked. It sounds as though you have a problem there and should get the installer of your new boiler back and slap him a few times.

...The pipe is connected using a standard plastic screw-fit connecter with a rubber washer. The reason I replaced it is because the original one had a crack in and was leaking.

...I didnt replace the pipe with a new one, I just fixed it. The pipe is made of 12 mm plastic tubing that has been glued together...

Does the style of posting not remind you of someone?
And who in his right mind would start working on a new boiler that does not even belong to him, with the risk of making it worse after having been told it is a warrantee issue?

How likely is it that a landlord takes the trouble to get a half decent boiler installed, and then disappear without leaving a contact number, or a number for emergencies, no agent available, benchmark with installer number miraculously disappeared, cp12 with phonenumber of RGI that recently worked on the boiler also not there?
That is a lot of unlikely things all happening at the same time.

How on earth did the condensate trap on a new boiler get blocked. I have been servicing these for years and it takes about two years to get anywhere near blocked. It sounds as though you have a problem there and should get the installer of your new boiler back and slap him a few times.

I did some research on the internet and found a few other people with the same issue. Not with the same model I should add. One forum I read, a guy says that his trap gets blocked every couple of months and he just keeps cleaning it out. I'd be very concerned if that happened.

I've been using this boiler for about 3 months but it was probably originally fitted in around October when the flat was built. I'll keep an eye on it and if this happens again I think it would be sensible to get someone out to look at it. For the time being though, its perfectly fine.

One question though, does the silt in the trap mainly come from the inside of the boiler or can dust and grit from the flue find its way into the trap too?

To Bengasman :- Your childish comments are unwelcome and innapropriate. I've already asked you to leave my thread alone, please go bother someone else.

One question though, does the silt in the trap mainly come from the inside of the boiler or can dust and grit from the flue find its way into the trap too.

Mostly aluminium oxide from the HEX, very very little from outside air.

One of the reasons I went off these boilers, will only install the CDIs now, and they aren't immune from it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back