New boiler: Viessmann?

Yes they did have a problem with the old dover boiler, Once the valve has been changed with a new cartridge its normally ok.
This problem does not occur with new 100 range, I have not yet had a problem with this new model and nor have any of the lads in the merchant.

Sponsored Links
Hi. I have been thinking about getting a viessmann boiler and would like to know what I should be checking from an installer that they are trained and therefore the boiler will have a 5 year warranty. Any help would be appreciated.

go to the Viessmann website and get a few approved installers in your area.

When you call, ask if they service and repair Viessmann boilers (if they say no, I'd go elsewhere). If yes, ask how much for an annual service (it will probably not need servicing that often) in case they are overpriced. then ask how many, of the particular model you want, they have installed.

I say this because although my local firm ( a mile from home) has installed a number of Viessmann boilers, they had actually never done the particular one I wanted (a 100 Compact) and their unfamiliarity showed. Viessmann also do a range of large and complex boilers, I went for the simplest one as I think it will have less to go wrong. On mine, the pump, valves and controls are external to the boiler, so I can fix them myself without needing to call in a Viessmann trained engineer.

edited:
p.s. I forgot to say: If you are having a new boiler fitted to an old heating system, it is important to have it thoroughlly cleaned and flushed, and I would strongly advise also having a Magnaclean or similar device fitted to trap the remaining sediment (you can never get it all out)

I am a householder not a pro

basically you get given 5 year warrentry cards instead of 3 years when installed by viessmann trained.and enrolled on to there list.just give viessmann a ring if in any doubt about an installer.have to admit iv not read any of the whole post except the last two.but as for viessmann they did have trouble with the old 100s and they hold there hand up and admit to the problems. but the revised 100w is a very good piece of kit. i'v been mainly fitting the 100w since they were out, and touch wood no problems.

Sponsored Links
As for installers you could check out the website or ask Viessmann for your local Area business Managers Number and see who could put foward for your job..

Guys my Viessmann boiler has been a nightmare.

It was fitted 17/1/2006 and i payed £2500 for the supply and fitting i bought it because it was supposed to be a quality product.

It within the first two years i think it broke down 2 or 3 times, since then i have kept the service reports for repairs...

16/01/08 replaced PCB + PRV
17/04/08 replaced pump seal
30/12/08 spark generator + he mention replacing a bladder?

Today my CH broke down (still have HW), so i phoned Viessmann only to be told my warranty has expired and they would call me back after speaking to a manager (which hasent happened).

Do i have a case based on the fact that the boiler has been constanlty braking down and therefore has not been fit for purpose? Consumer rights would suggest that this type of appliance should be good for 5 years.

Jimmy, you are being a little unfair to Viessmann.

The PCB migh have failed but it was replaced free.

The PRV will have failed due to dirty water, thats installers fault!

The pump will have failed due to dirty water, thats installers fault! You are lucky they replaced that free.

The ignition circuit is a known problem and replaced free.

The diverter valve ( if that ) are also a known problem on some of those boilers and you should argue that in your quest to get it replaced free.

They Company seems very disorganised unfortunately so dont wait too long before calling them again as they may "forget" to call back.

In spite of all this the five year warrantee is very good and the heat exchanger is the best in the industry!

Tony

I say this because although my local firm ( a mile from home) has installed a number of Viessmann boilers, they had actually never done the particular one I wanted (a 100 Compact) and their unfamiliarity showed.

I am a householder not a pro

That is very good advice!

I have a friend who has fitted about 15 Viessmanns but last week he fitted a compact and soldered to the stub pipes on top which is a no-no !

He failed to notice the pipework was not correctly configured and was pumping over. He was charged £100 by the service agent for showing him where he had gone wrong.

Tony

Thanks for your quick reply,

The PCB migh have failed but it was replaced free.

Yes the fault was found just before xmas and was not fixed till the 16th Jan, i can tell you that was not a good xmas and new year.

Also the spark generator and bladder thingy, boiler broke down before xmas, so that was 2 years in a row i had to let the kid stay with his mum without getting him overnight.

I cost me over £200 to fix the holes i punched in the wall.

Thanks for your quick reply,

Yes the fault was found just before xmas and was not fixed till the 16th Jan, i can tell you that was not a good xmas and new year.

Really that is quite appalling service.

However, seeing where you are living, I expect that they did not have a service agent close by ( or if they did then he was on holiday. )

Providing warrantee cover in remote areas is a real problem for smaller manufacturers.

Although they have had their over share of teething problems, they are mostly seen as very reliable boilers and the latest model seems to have got everything sorted out.

Tony

I stay 5 mins from the centre of Paisley and 20 mins from the centre of Glasgow.

The delay was because there were no spare parts available at the time. (or so i was told)

Anyway good news, i just called them again and they are going to call me back when they have an engineer available.

went to a breakdown on a five years old vitodens 100 the other day and the flow switch was hissing water out of the top of the part, last year the hydroblock had the same fault and customer is now having a worcester fitted in his new extention.

I think they only started importing into the UK about 2006 so yours much have been one of the first.

Its quite likely they ran out of PCbs because the engineers were at first replacing them even though the fault was only the ignition circuit.

The nature of the F4 fault could give the impresssion that the PCB was faulty. However, the rule is that if in doubt, replace the cheapest part first.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back