Cheapest roofing option (garage)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Can anyone suggest an ideal roof at a decent price?

I have been gathering up a few prices. Bitumen sheets came out the cheapest (£120). I got a price for roofing shingles (wickes) which is £170, then polycarbonate next at £180.

PVC corrugated sheeting - £60 :LOL: (dont fancy using this horrid stuff)

But then I just worked it out, slate might work out cheaper, which will cost about £100 for 60 slates(new), £10 for the bituminous underslating.

Felt is the other option, but not the cheapest, the osb would sting at £100 alone.

Any advice? I am tight for cash, need a good money saving option, cheap and effective, will the local salvage have anything on offer?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
cant tell without knowing dimensions.

You want the cheapest? try a tarpaulin :D

Sponsored Links
Corrugated bitumen does have a couple of drawbacks in my experience:

It needs lots of support (preferably continuous) - works best if you're covering a felt roof that's perished.

The holes where you nail through it enlarge mysteriously over the years. This lets the weather in a bit, encourages nails to rust, etc. The sheet also drops away from the nail caps as it tries to flatten out with age.

I recently patched up one of these roofs with a mate. We put some polystyrene eaves fillers under the nail line to try and maintain the profile. I'll report back in 5 years to tell you if it worked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back