ducting for ceiling fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What is easier for a roofer and cheaper for a customer? Duct through the roof via roof vent or duct to soffit board with hole drilled? I guess messing about with the roof can always throw unknowns...

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
There's a much greater chance of leaks in the roof.

Hi. The soffit is easier with say 90 mm flex duct. However the gap between the roofing batten and corner of wall plate, which can be quite small when a birds mouth has been used on common rafers / wall plate. This area should be checked prior to cutting holes in soffit and ordering items.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies.

should the hole in the soffit be cut from the inside or outside?

Can an average diyer do this job?

Soffit is actually accessible via flat garage roof.

Many Thanks

Hi From outside. However, measure up correctly to avoid hitting rafters / soffit supports (look for telltale signs, fixings, nails, screws) drill say 4 mm pilot hole first and confirm its in the right place by checking on the inside. If ok go ahead with hole cutting saw.

Do you have any advice in terms of make for a ventilation fan kit?

What items will i need other than the fan and grill?

Thanks

Do you have any advice in terms of make for a ventilation fan kit?

What items will i need other than the fan and grill?

Thanks

vnt5000-150x150.jpg

Duct%20Tape.jpg

Silicone_Sealant.jpg

Saggy_Gravity_Air_Louver_Grille.summ.jpg

XPLV100H.JPG

Hi again,

I've checked the soffit space and imho there isn't enough of it.
I think the duct could be squeezed but from the loft you cannot actually see the horizontal board that makes up the fascia so i don't think this can be reached properly. I can only see the vertical one.
Is this quite common? I can stick my arms through the space between the roof and the inner wall but it looks pretty tight. Basically if i drilled a pilot hole on the horizontal board from outside I would not be able to view it on the inside.

So i may need a roof vent tile putting in. The house is a 2 storey semi and the roof section can be accessed via garage flat roof. The roof is the old concrete tile type and the felt is the old black bituminous non breathable membrane. Does anyone know a rough ballpark figure i should pay to have one tile replaced with a vent tile?

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back