Giving your customer your suppliers invoice

Actually I don't see the problem, a client either takes on trust their not being ripped off or seeks confirmation that their not (by having sight of materials costs) for future reference. But never to argue minor points after the quote has been accepted and the work done.

Good business is where both sides feel fairly compensated and if those charges are competitive and fair why not demonstrate the fact. In many years of contracting my approach was to base pricing on what I believed to be a fair on site hourly rate, traveling charges which included time and pro rata vehicle costs and materials at the discounted price +10/20% and were fully transparent.

Income would have to cover all costs and any fixed overheads, however it's right clients question quotes and charges given some of the charges bandied about.

Briefly I spent some time working on a local authority maintenance program, the contract stated all materials would be at cost +10% and the company would be reimbursed on production of the monthly materials invoices, the contractor (for whom I worked) entered into an agreement with the supplier to invoice at retail and later on statement apply the discount. No need to elaborate, suffice to say the company did very well out of the arrangement and little doubt that many smaller companies/one man bands adopt a similar approach to business.

No wonder customers use whatever means at their disposal to prevent their being ripped off.

Sponsored Links
Back