kitchen extractor - do i need one??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to replace the kitchen in my flat. One kitchen company told me that I HAVE to have an extractor. Others have not specified this. My flat is open plan and I have 4 big windows in the room plus 2 vents. Am I obliged under building regulations to install an extractor??

Sponsored Links
The kitchen replacement is not controlled works under the b/regs so you don't have to adhere to the fan requirement.

But it would be wise to do so

Windows don't extract stale humid air, but just push it around the flat

^woody^ as you seem to be a man who knows about these things, is that still the case if you are doing controlled works such as electrics and gas as part of the refit? Or an RSJ to take out a structural wall?

Or would the question of actually adding the oven/hob always just be incidental?

A mate of mine has just finished a full refurb on a flat he bought for rental.
The only thing building regs checked when they came around was that the bathroom and kitchen had extractor fans - didn't even check they worked, just that they were there.
May be different for rentals, but woody is far more knowledgable in these things.

Sponsored Links
Building control being involved in a refurb implies material alteration to controlled services or fittings - in which case different rules apply. But for a standard kitchen replacement there is no requirement to provide mechanical ventilation where there was none previously.

is that still the case if you are doing controlled works such as electrics and gas as part of the refit? Or an RSJ to take out a structural wall?

Or would the question of actually adding the oven/hob always just be incidental?

You would have to be creating a new kitchen room/space for the fan requirement to apply. If you are doing other work under a b/regs application, then the remit of the BCO is just to those works

Part P would only apply to the extent of checking the actual installation is OK - ie if an extractor is being fitted it should be fitted properly, but there would be no requirement to actually fit one as part of other installation work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back