New flat roof. Mineral, chippings or solar paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder is about to finish a new warm roof single story extension next to an existing extension. The old extension roof is being stripped and upgraded to a warm roof too.
Both will have firings, osb, 90mm celotex, ply then 3 layers of felt laid as one complete roof.
I have been asked which of the 3 finishes I want, the builder suggests solar paint, the BCO suggests chippings may be a better long term bet with not having to repaint every 3-5yrs and nobody seemed to have an opinion on mineral finish.

The roof is North facing.

I could really do with some advice on which to go for please.

View media item 13926View media item 13925

Sponsored Links
The reason that b.c. insist upon chippings over solar paint is fire spread risk. If the flat roof building is close to the boundary then expect to have to lay chippings.
:rolleyes: bonkers i know.

I'm well away from the boundry, the bco suggested chippings on a recuring cost basis re the repainting being often and expensive.

My present 3 layer felt roof with chippings has lasted over 30yrs without leaks but I would have thought that one of the 3 finish methods has most benefits?
Or should I just flip a coin?

best is mineral finish other 2 are out dated and dearer mineral does the reflective part

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back