2 single ovens from 10mm cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Previously installed 10mm T&E on 45 Amp MCB, in timber stud wall to future proof kitchen. Now I want to utilise the 10mm cable to feed a single pyrolytic oven & a combi microw/oven both rated at 3.4kW. Therefore 3400/240=14.2 Amps(installation manual states 16 amp rating) Can I split 10mm supply cable to each of the ovens?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, you need a cooker switch controlling a 2-way enclosure containing two 16A MCBs. Feed your ovens from this.

Yes, you need a cooker switch controlling a 2-way enclosure containing two 16A MCBs. Feed your ovens from this.

Is this necessarily true? No - not a smug loaded question - I'm slightly confused :).

When someone comes on here asking how to wire up, say, a seperate oven and electric hob to their existing cooker circuit, standard advice I've read many times on here is to use the CCU to feed one of those double cable outlets (or a dual backbox with two single cable outlets) and job's a goodun. No individual fusing below 45A (or whatever the breaker is) for each seperate appliance.

So is the above really necessary? Surely it comes down to whether the manufacturers instructions specifically require the supply to be fused down to a certain level, and obviously a lot of cookers/hobs dont require this?

Or am I missing something?

Liam

Sponsored Links
Yeah but no but yeah but...

I noticed the 16A rating in the OP, but then the OP hasn't really been specific about that, which is kinda what I'm getting at. For all we know it could say: 'this appliance must be supplied by a circuit of at least 16A rating.'

If individual fusing is always required when two cooking appliances are run from a single CCU, then what's this for?

And similarly, in your example above where is the local fusing for the bit of kit on the cable outlet?

So presumably there exists cooking appliances that don't require individual fusing and can be run with other appliances on a single circuit with a CPD rating high enough for them both. Given the times I've seen the advice above given, these appliances are presumably common (most cookers??).

So getting back to my original reply, is it correct to say that the OP may well (or may most likely) only need

and not
23453417.jpg

+
23453277.jpg

+
23453277.jpg

?

Liam, I would consider it clumsy to just use a dual outlet. I consider that 16A appliances should be protected by an appropriately rated MCB.

And you dont even need a mainswitch in the enclosure - isolation is provided by the CCU, or the MCB at the main board.

;)

the fusing is there to protect the cable
if the oven / hob ignitor is already supplied with a flex, or if it has terminals too small for a suitably sized cable then you need to fuse down..

I'm guessing that the micromave wouldn't have a terminal box for adding your own flex to it..

the dual outlet is for adding 2 items that have a suitable size cable or with terminals that will take a suitable sized cable.. such as a double oven and electric hob..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back