Purlin/brickwork question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 1932 built Semi, typical construction with a three sided roof.

The brickwork where the purlins sit look to have cracked and dropped slightly, Is this common or something I should be worried about?

It's been like this since i bough the place a year ago, wasn't picked up on the engineers report I had carried out, just thought I would ask.

Sponsored Links
It's very common. Quite often the bricks have crumbled away completely and typically the purlin isn't long enough to extend into the brickwork. Unless it's really gone I'd be inclined to leave it. You can only really hack a hole out beneath the end of the timber and cement a raised brick in. You might need temporary support while you do this.

Ahh, fair enough then, if its common as suspected then I shall leave it for now.

I am about 75% sure I will be extending my house in the next year, which will need to extensive roof work at that point, so its not really worth messing with it I guess.

What causes it? just natural movement?

Sponsored Links
Dunno - I think it was just one of those crappy building conventions that no one questioned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back