Stop cock in the street.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents,

There's a problem with the stop cock in the street which means it is impossible to use it to stop the water supply coming into my house. I've got a problem with the pipework between the external and internal stop cocks, so need to cut the water off in the street.

Am I correct to think that my local water provider(Porstmouth Water) is responsible for the stop cock in the street? I already know that everything on 'my side' of the stop cock is my responsibility, but am unsure about the tap itself.

The bloody thing looks like its come out of the arc, so all the thread pitches are different to anything I can get in a plumbers merchants.

Cheers for any advice,
Phil

Sponsored Links
Water authority are responsible for the valve on the street. It comes directly off the main.
Ring them up to get it fixed.

Try ringing your water co. They should change it for you. They will change it round these parts (Bristol), if its knackered.

Give them some bull about the pipe under your garden leaking, and wasting lots of water. Usually gets a much quicker response. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, i'll call em. I guessed it was probably something the water authority would take ownership of.

Goldberg:

It came apart in my hand when I tried to turn it off! I fudged it back together, but it needs sorting properly, hence my query...I could see it getting expensive if the pavement needd digging up etc...

Phil

Give em a call, they'll tell you which way or another. Portsmouth Water are normally very good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back