Carpet stretching and kicker ... and fitting question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it really necessary to use a carpet kicker to fix carpet down [in a bedroom]?

If so, in true DIY fashion, could I make one out of a block of wood, some pieces of gripper and a rubber pad? :rolleyes:

Also, I watched a fitter once and he spayed edges of the carpet with a spray contact adhesive before fixing it to the gripper. Was this to seal the cut fibres in, just to stick it down or for some other purpose?

Sponsored Links
probably,the chap i used to work with had a blunt bolster to press the edge of the carpet down,iirc screwfix do a kicker for about 20 quid,im sure that would be better then ripping your new carpet coz your a tight ar5e and wouldnt buy the proper tool, :LOL: :LOL:

Cheapest I've seen a kicker is £30 - which is more than I paid for the carpet. LOL

But why buy one if I can make one?

ok if you can source a couple of serated metal lenghts then give it a go.
mind you you could probably use some gripper rod for the job?

Sponsored Links
i have heard it all now! PMSL..

What carpet have you purchased? felt back? secondary back?

Is the gripper and underlay down?

If so i can find a lad that will fit it for you in the brum area for about 30 quid depending on size.

P.m me if you want some phone numbers of fitters around that area.

ur surely taking the rise,if he aint goner spend his dosh on a kicker then he probably wont spend it on a fitter, ;) :LOL: :LOL:

And there's me thinking this was a DIY site :rolleyes: :LOL:

The thing is with this particulary little job, is that it is closely tied in with other jobs and oher commitments, which must follow each other, and it looks like the carpet will have to be fitted at about 11PM one night later this week.

And that is why I wanted to know if a kicker was essential as I may not be able to pick one up

And who said anything about purchasing a carpet? :rolleyes:

My father managed for years with a home made version.

Six sharpened 3" nails through a piece of PAR 2x2 PAR with a piece of board on the other end for his knee.

I inherited a real one from FIL.

LOL ..... coming soon to a forum near you will be my home-made carpet stretcher!!

I'll upload the pics :cool:

Theres a tool that some fitters use called a "deadman". Its used in conjunction with a power stretcher. It's made by screwing 3 pieces of 18mm ply together (2' x 1') then fixing rows of gripper to the bottom of it. You then get your helper to stand on it whilst the tail block of the power stretcher rests against it (creates a temporary/ moveable brace) and you stretch away (almost like a double headed pole stretcher).
Not sure about using the same principle in a smaller setup (making a "kicker"). You're better buying a cheap one.

Those hand tools have been thrown into the mix and hardly look used. Talk about placement.......... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back