Polycarbonate sheeting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got to extend the condensing pipe from my central heating boiler acros a polycarbonite sheeting roof. I will be using 22mm plastic pipes, is there any way of fixing this to the roof such as adhesives?

Sponsored Links
Normal glue will probably not hold. Superglue or such will probably melt one or other of the plastics. Can't you fix to a nearby joist?

Or use normal pipe clips, using very short self tapping screws so that they only penetrate the first wall of the polycarb. (Assuming it's multi-wall polycarbonate?)

Thanks for your reply. I am wondering whether an all weather mastic would suit fixing the 'clips' to the roof.

Now I think about it the the answer is clear (or maybe opal).
Use a length of timber, maybe 3x1 PAR, fixed to the sheeting using a really strong double sided tape. Then simply fix the clips to the timber.

Prime/paint/stain/varnish the timber before you put it up, if necessary.

*edit* is this going above or below the sheeting?

Sponsored Links
I was thinking more along the lines of putting a length of trunking over the polycarb using silicone sealant and then sitting the pipe in the trunking. If you ever want to get it off it would be a simple job of peeling off the silicone.

Thanks for the additional suggestions. The piping will be going over the top of the sheeting, unnfortunately the central heating boiler was installed by it seems guys who tethered their horses and have ridden off into the sunset. At the moment the condensing pipe does not terminate into a drain/guttering which is apparently against the regulations and could damage the polycarbonate roof.

Thanks for the additional suggestions. The piping will be going over the top of the sheeting, unnfortunately the central heating boiler was installed by it seems guys who tethered their horses and have ridden off into the sunset. At the moment the condensing pipe does not terminate into a drain/guttering which is apparently against the regulations and could damage the polycarbonate roof.

Off the record, just let the condensated water drip onto the poly. It will only be warm water and not much of it. Worst case scenario you may get a water stain that you would have to clean a few times a year. It will be a dam sight better than a bit of timber or a length of pipe trailing down the poly (Not saying the ideas above are no good) :)

Even more wisdom! I was told there were 'chemicals' in the water which would harm the roofing. If it is only water then I'll sit in the armchair if 'er indoors allows!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back