Lead valleys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently having a flat roof to pitch converson done on the third bedroom extension on my 1930's semi. Where the new hipped roof meets the old the builder has made 2 lead valleys. where the cut rosemary tiles sit above the lead there is quite a large gap, should this gap be filled with mortar. I asked the builder and he said he would if I wanted but they usually don't because the mortar can suck the water in by capillary action, is this correct. I'm also not sure if th valleys are constructed properly as, he's basically made a vee out of floorboards and layed lead on top. The pictures of valleys I've seen have a slat running up the edge of the floorboard and the lead shaped over the top of this slat the the tile sits on top

Sponsored Links
Asked builder and he said there isn't enough gap when you use rosemarys and if you did put in an upstand it would make the tiles kick up. I must admit the gap didn't look big enough but should he have done something to create a gap that would allow an upstand and the tiles to lay flat.

Sponsored Links
Asked builder and he said if you did put in an upstand it would make the tiles kick up.

the lead cannot be laid in flat..........an upstand needs to be formed and the rosemary tiles cut so they sit down properly.
for rosemarys and slates etc lengths of tilting fillett are the norm or at the very least the lead should be turned over at the edges.
can you post a pic ?

turned up edges works fine, Tiles should not be bedded directly onto the lead anyway.

With plain tiles depending on pitch they will work fine not pointed in.. provided lead is wide enough and turned up.

Sorry I cant see exactly whats been done.. but the underlay should not be hanging out....

It would be interesting to see a picture of the ridge line above this vally too....just curious..

The tiles arn't even 'bedded' in (on undercloak) with mortar, how are the smaller cuts going to stay in place as i can see he hasn't used tile and a half for it.

Sorry I cant see exactly whats been done.. but the underlay should not be hanging out....

It would be interesting to see a picture of the ridge line above this vally too....just curious..

It's difficult to to tel by the picture will post more pics Monday before scaffolding comes down. I thought that about membrane doesn't look very good does it will ask him to come back and sort it. I thought about using leadmate sealant but suspect it would take quite a few tubes to fill the gap.

The tiles arn't even 'bedded' in (on undercloak) with mortar, how are the smaller cuts going to stay in place as i can see he hasn't used tile and a half for it.

Please explain what you mean by undercloaking. Yes there are some small cuts that are loose and will fall out.

We use undercloak that you use on gable ends to go under the tiles in the valley's to bed the tiles on, either nailed to the valley board or the battens never into the lead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back