flat to pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning on re-doing the flat roof to my house but am not sure how best to finish one of the edges. The flat roof is at the highest point of the house and there is a very steeply pitched slate 'roof' (near vertical - I'm afraid I don't know the angle) sloping down from the back. The current flat roof (felt - now dead) simply overlapped this by about 100 mm and was sealed to it. I am planning on fitting an EPDM membrane (on top of new Kingspan TR31) but want to ensure this edge is properly sealed. So....

1) Is lead flashing the best approach? (it's on old house so lead would look more 'traditional').
2) What is the best way to attach this?
3) What is the best way to attach the membrane to this?

Sorry for the rather ignorant questions - I've found loads of info on-line and in DIY books relating to joining a flat roof to a pitched roof sloping upwards, but not down!

Sponsored Links
Attached are three photos of the roof - a general view and two showing the edge in question (on the right of the aerial view).

The roof is currently covered by 52 mm of foam insulation board (which appears to be glued to the roof boards) onto which the old roofing felt is directly attached (it seems to peel off easily though). Rather than removing this, I was planning on attaching 56 mm Kingspan TR31 on top to increase the insulation and to give a good base for the EPDM. Does this make sense?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

View media item 14617 View media item 14616 View media item 14619

Sponsored Links
That's some view you've got from your house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back