downpipe into sewage pipe!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am thinking of installing a gutter downpipe into our sewage pipe. The sewage pipe is also servicing the bathroom water (sink, bath etc).

The problem is that there is only one downpipe servicing 3houses & my side constantly overflows when it rains heavy!

Now, I know your not meant to have rainwater going into the sewage system... could someone explain why not & what problems would occur?

Sponsored Links
Hi There are three types of below ground sewage systems.
1. Separate, Soil and rain water are not mixed. each has is own system.
2. Combined. Where both connect to the same underground system
3. Partially seperate. Not all rainwater is put into sewer.
It a local council/water company issue as in some areas they don't want to treat large volumes of rain water mixed with sewage during high flow situations. If you have the room and a low water table a soakerway can be constructed and used. Good Luck

Now, I know your not meant to have rainwater going into the sewage system... could someone explain why not & what problems would occur?
Don’t know what the situation is like in Ireland but many of the UK sewage systems are now so antiquated & under capacity that it’s getting increasingly more difficult for them to cope in severe weather situations which frequently leads to raw sewage exploding onto the street in some areas. Provision of soak aways for surface water is the norm here & is a Buiding Regs. requirement; in most cases it’s also against local by-laws to discharge surface water into the foul drain system without permission.

Sponsored Links
It is widely acknowledged that local authorities in the UK encourage (insist) that all properties handle their own rainwater, via soakaways where it is practical to do so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back