rosemary tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to have my house re-roofed with new clay tiles. it's a big job (about 20,000 tiles). What is the custom with the old rosemary's, do they go to the roofer or are they mine to sell on. I wouldn't bother if it were a few hundred, but it will go into thousands of tiles. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Unless you have come to a previous agreement they are yours, but you will have to strip them off carefully, keep your roof watertight, carry the tiles to the ground, stack them carefully and then load them onto the salvage merchant's lorry; or you can pay the roofer extra to do that for you (which will probably only be a bit less than the salvage value).

Or you can let the roofer have them as a bit of bunce - which is normal practice.

Most people will allow tp keep the salvaged tiles to do with as they please.
I would iron this out with the roofer before he starts to save any bitterness later on.

Often the value of the salvage is not as much as you might think. Dont fall into the I saw them on internet for the price of gold trap, because it's twaddle.

Also I think in the current climate a lot of reclaimation yards are buying in less and certainly not very large quantities.

emark - I second the comments above. Several thousand old Rosemarys aren't the nest-egg you might think they are. Everyone round our way has a stack behind the garage that they keep meaning to get rid of. On eBay the go for 5p to 15p a piece - on the rare occasions that they actually sell. As a vendor you really need to be in the right place at the right time.
You could have hours of fun cleaning and checking them for cracks and missing snibs and still only get washers for them. Why not let someone else take care of the problem?

Sponsored Links
The fact that you are re-roofing might suggest that they aren't all in pristine condition anyway. Just tell him you'll expect a discount if he keeps them.

Just tell him you'll expect a discount if he keeps them.

Tell him? :eek:

Why should the customer expect a discount?

If the roofer has priced to remove and cart away then salvage is rightfully his.

As Roofer has said, the customer is well within their rights to erect a scaffold, remove, clean, pallet stack, and transport their tiles to a salvage yard.

Fill yer boots i tell them. :rolleyes:

Just tell him you'll expect a discount if he keeps them.

Tell him? :eek:

Yes tell him. The customer is the guy with the cash in his pocket and can say what he likes. He has no need to grovel to a builder. He can cancel the agreement and find a more receptive contractor if he won't play ball.

The sensible thing is to put them on pallets and split any proceeds. They retail at 35p each round our way. Even at 10p per tile it's still good money.

The point is Joe, there will be no proceeds left by the time the roofing contractor has paid his boys to carry clean and stack the tiles.

There are instances where 'used' tiles are quite valuable such as staffy blues. There could be an agreement betwixt customer and roofer whereby the profit is split on the tiles, obviously once the roofer has taken his cut for removal etc.

But in most cases the roofer will make the proposition so one sided that it wont be worth it for the customer.

However, the customer can at any time hire a scaffold, remove the tiles, carry them down, pallet them up, ship em to a reclamation yard and sell them on. He will need to tarp the roof though. :rolleyes:

He's already paid for the scaffold. Why should he pay twice? He can get a couple of Polish lads with a conveyor/hoist to take the lot off for him. There's a profit in 20,000 tiles that retail at 35p each.

Joe, you know very well there is a difference between paying for a scaffold and paying for a contract which involves a scaffold.

But i do agree with the Polish thing. If it did not inconvenience the roofing contractor, time or practicality wise, then why not. There could be an instance whereby the the scaffold is erected on a Friday and the home owner removes and ships the tiles away prior to the contractor starting on a Monday.

The homeowner would be liable for any leaks though.

The bottom line is that the customer pays for the scaffold. The cost is included in the roofer's quote - but the customer still pays.

The bottom line is that the customer pays for the scaffold. The cost is included in the roofer's quote - but the customer still pays.

Correct, almost.

The customer has no rights to use the scaffold as they see fit. Any equipment hired to facilitate the contract is at the risk and cost to the contractor.

If the customer opted to pay extra to use the scaffold then an agreement could be met, whereby the customer pays for the extra cost of hiring or time lost due to customer usage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back