fitting a log burning stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan on installing a log burner into the existing fireplace. Someone has already mounted a steel plate with hole for 5inch flue. Are there various regulations i will have to follow like with installing a gas fire or can i just go ahead myself?

Sponsored Links
Yes.

Here's a good place to start: http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove_building_regulations.html

Stove should be fitted by a Hetas registered person or you can do it yourself by notifying your local building control before you start (£125 ish)

Key things to watch:

Hearth construction and size.
You will need an air vent fitting to the room if stove more than 5KW

The quality and conditon of the flue are very important. Make friends with your chimney sweep; he will advise you about flue and cowl and he will install the stove with a port for easy sweeping in future years. He won't thank you if there's no port.

After the flue your arrangements for storing and seasoning the wood are equally important. You need a sheltered well-ventilated place where you can store it, ideally for a year but a full summer is okay if you buy it very early in the year part-seasoned.

If you have a choice of sizes of stove, opt for the smaller one; you will need to burn it a little harder and it will burn cleaner as a result. Nothing is worse than a smoky yellow flame in a shut-down oversize stove.

Sponsored Links
In addition to Goldspoons link, you also need to look specifically at Part J of the Building Regs. &, depending on the type of flue you currently have, you may need a new class 1 flue liner.

Follow correct procedure as you will need to produce either a HETAS certificate or a certificate of compliance from your LABC when you come to sell the property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back