Fixing Plasma TV onto stud partition wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. A question for my fellow joiners.
I have recently being asked by a customer to fix a bracket to a stud partition wall for a plasma which is a monstrous 5ft wide 35 inch high and 70kg's in weight. The only way I can think is to strip the plasterboard off one side of the wall. Fix more 4"x2" framework, re-plasterboard and skim the wall.
I can't think of any other options. Any joiners who have tackled this sort of task in a different way? If so please tell me.
Mainly due to wall having very old plater coving and plaster daedo rail, which i don't fancy trying to match back up to.

Sponsored Links
How about fitting some steel strips (say 5mmx50mm) between studs on the surface and fixing the TV bracket to tapped holes in that.

Painted the same colour as the bracket (or the wall) it will be hidden behind the TV and not push it out very far from the wall.

Good idea. Didn't even think of tackling it that way. Doing it this way i could use metal or even a plywood sheet. Bolt the bracket to the plywood/metal then screw this into the studwork so the weight is spread across as many studs as possible. Cheers mate. Knew someone would give me a different view. Give yourself 10 points :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Whilst not of that size or weight. I wanted to fit an LCD tv to a lathe & plaster wall, the back side of the wall was in a cupboard so I could get to it.
I bolted 2 pieces of ply, 1 each side of the lath & plaster wall, I then fitted the tv barcket to the ply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back