Eve's/Soffit ventilation Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've just had the above replaced with UPVC.

The installer has provided over-facia vents (10mm); 1m vent every 5m, which he states is sufficient. Is this right?

The roof span is 4.8m x 8.8m long (pitch is greater than 15 degrees).

I've read BS5250 (and other advice) and it states that the ventilation should be 'continuous' (presumably the whole length of the facia?).

Advice greatly appreciated.

BTW - he hasn't been paid yet!

Sponsored Links
Hi. I've just had the above replaced with UPVC.

The installer has provided over-facia vents (10mm); 1m vent every 5m, which he states is sufficient. Is this right?

The roof span is 4.8m x 8.8m long (pitch is greater than 15 degrees).

I've read BS5250 (and other advice) and it states that the ventilation should be 'continuous' (presumably the whole length of the facia?).

Advice greatly appreciated.

BTW - he hasn't been paid yet!

I don't understand, one every 5 metres? So what is using up the space in between them? :confused: This can't be right...or am I not understanding correctly, LOL :oops:

Overfascia vents occupy the top of the entire length of fascia. There is no such thing as intermittent spacing - as you say it should be continuous.

Yes it should. The OFV sits on top of the fascia all the way along. It lifts the tiles by 15-20mm.

If you stick OFV's here and there then the tiles will drop in between and look all wavy :confused:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your responses; confirms what I thought. a 1m x 25mm (I think) 'notch' has been cut in the top of the facia to accommodate the vent(s), so adjacent tiles are on the same level.

Thanks for your responses; confirms what I thought. a 1m x 25mm (I think) 'notch' has been cut in the top of the facia to accommodate the vent(s), so adjacent tiles are on the same level.

Well he must have ran out of vents as its a bit of a ball ache to cut notches out of the fascia. :confused:

Personally, I don't think one vent every 5 metres is enough. If you don't mind, why don't you have a few circular ventilators drilled into the soffit board? This would help by causing a 'flow' of air IE in the circular and out of the OFV.

I'm sure he has done a good job, just never heard of this periodic notching thing, lol :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back