Any Welders on here?

Sponsored Links
but not always

And therein lies the crux of the matter.

Would you be willing to stand next to a burning bottle and take the chance it DOES take a couple of hours?

kevplumb,

the only way an acetylene bottle will go up is if its well alight inside when you close the valve

which is why I said you never close an acetylene bottle valve if it is alight.

If you can't be constructive then don't waste my time.

Would you be willing to stand next to a burning bottle and take the chance it DOES take a couple of hours?

yes have done

which is why I said you never close an acetylene bottle valve if it is alight.

if its burning at the valve your still on safe ground

when it isnt then you start looking for track shoes

ok mebee wdik and myself don't get the point across too well

if you use the stuff you know

read all the books you want

watch all the tv you want

it don't really matter

and fyi nobody is trying to waste your time just cos our opinion don't tally with your books

then why ask if your gonna get stroppy about the answer ?

Sponsored Links
I still remember my first welding lesson and some of the advice given by my instructer 20 odd years ago if it'll help?
Oxygen
1 - first bottle opened last one closed.
2 - make sure pipes and fittings are free from oil and grease otherwise an explosion will occur.
3 - if your feeling a bit depressed grab a lung full or two and it will perk you up ;)

Acetylene
1 - keep bottle upright.
2 - left hand thread fittings.
3 - only crack open the bottle 1/4 of a turn and leave the bottle key in place in case of emergency.
4 - to extinguish the flame shut off the acetylene first and let the oxygen feed through until the nozzle has cooled then shut the oxygen off. shut off the acetylene bottle then purge the acetylene through the nozzle checking the gauges to make sure the line is clear then close the valve on the torch. purge the oxygen in the same way. jobs a good 'un. Never had an accident with oxy/acetylene in over 20 years of using the stuff (nearly everyday).

as apprentices, we used to blow it up the guys in the booths overall legs and sit back :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

not being a welder i dont know about the chemistry of it all and some interesting comments have been made, one thing though it does show how important H&S can be in saving lives, without knowledge of what could go wrong as pointed out, the lives of the person welding and those around could be in danger.

we use gas bottles at work (no flame) for gassing up the camera peds, these are locked into a portable purpose built (for want of a better name) sackbarrow. There's been mention of in the past of cylinders falling over and the tap getting sheared or damaged somehow and the cylinder acting like an apollo rocket :eek: I always look at these sackbarrows and wonder if they are stable enough not to fall or be pushed over.

though i have to say even qualified welders lose the plot sometimes as experienced on a site i was on in the 70's

they were mucking about and connected a cylinder(dont know of what) to a hose and a length of pipe, a bolt was inserted in the other end of the pipe and a lever was hit with a lump of metal.........well the bolt shot off across the site floor through a double glazed window across the road and through an office window opposite, a short time later the police entered the site and everyone including ourselves had disappeared to work on another floor :eek: never knew if anyone got caught for it or not but i was shocked at the power behind one of those cylinders!

Note: Acetylene cylinders contain an inert packing material and are filled with a solvent such as acetone or dimethylformamide. The acetylene is pumped into the cylinder and it dissolves in the solvent. When the cylinder is opened the acetylene comes back out of solution, much like a carbonated beverage bubbles when opened. This is a workaround to acetylene's property to explode when pressurized above 200 kPa or liquefied.

I found this.....scary or what?

Good trick I used to do was on sealed copper pipe where its being nitrogen purged is fill the end with oxy/acety and then go back to where the brazing is being done , crank up the nitrogen and get the apprentice to stand at the end of the pipe and start brazing.

KABOOOOOOM :LOL:

OOh and yes we set fire to an acetylene bottle once. Not something I would want to repeat.

Common sense saves more lives.

Pity a lot of people in this world don't seem to have any.

And for anyone who thinks I may be a 'ninny' for being concerned about this topic then obviously you have never had or witnessed a serious work related accident/incident.

Fine, if you think you are immune to such things happening to you then good luck.
Many years ago on a safety course it was claimed by James Tye, the chairman of RoSPA during the 1980's, that the longer a person went without witnessing/being a victim of a serious work related accident then statistically they were more likely to become a victim of one. This was partly due to them developing a complacent attitude through never having the experience.

So if you want to mess around with oxy-acetylene/propane or whatever then go ahead and do it. Just don't do it near me and do the decent thing by letting your families know what an arsehole you are when it comes to thinking about others. :evil:

Toffeenick, good post.

theres very little oxy acetelyne welding these days, mainly superceded by TIG and for the amatuers MIG

mainly used for cutting :arrow:

I don't have issues with peoples health and neither do i with their safety.

It is just when some busy-body receives the title of a H&S officer all common sense and intelligence seems to dissolve.

To be told that juggling with a kettle full of boiling water is dangerous and that you must wear a high-vis jacket whilst doing so and that it could save your life...... blah blah.

Fick eff! OK.

Sponsored Links
Back