Fire Door between the converted garage to Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have purchased a house which had the garage converted into a utility room. The inspector visited from the Council and said he wants a fire door to be fitted and remove the current door.

My question is do I need to get a new frame fitted as well or will the existing door frame be ok?

My second question is related to the loft.. The loft was converted into a room without complying with building regs therefore, inspector has mentioned in the letter that the ceiling lining plasterboards need to be removed. Does he mean only the plasterboards on the ceiling should be removed and the plasterboards on the sides can stay?

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the existing frame is equipped with a groove to receive intumescent strips and is obviously rebated to accept a 44mm thick door then fill ya boots.

You will also need to fit an auto closer to the door also.

Why though does he want a f/d? :confused:

The b.c. needs to clarify why he wants the boards removing and where. He obviously would like to take a peek at the insulation and venting but this will apply to the rafters and (gable?) walls.

He may want a look at the floor joists too.

Thanks for your advice.

Does the fire door come with intumescent strips pre fitted or does it require fitting separately? I don't think the frame has the the groves. Can they be made? obviously then there is whether it will accept 44mm thick door.

With regards to the loft and utility room the inspector said they cannot look like habbitable rooms. Therefore, he enforced the Fire door for utility room and removal of plasterboards from loft.

But like you said why does he want fire door?? No idea!!

A fire door would not normally be required on a utility room. Why does he want one fitted?

Remind him that you can no longer park the car next to the washing machine

Sponsored Links
In that case, unless there is a highly unusual/unlikely fire compartment or escape route that we are unaware of there is no requirement from a BRegs POV for an FD.

As Woods says, challenge the BCO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back