Correct instalation of ridg vent tiles

DCM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have just had some work done to my roof part of which was to install extra ventalation due to recent condensation problems after increasing the amount of insulation.

The guy has installed two ventalation tiles on the ridge of the roof at either side of the roof. Upon inspecting them from inside the attic there has not been any removal of the roof lining on the inside of the roof (which is not a breathable membrane hence the condensation issue) to open up the ventalation to the newly installed tiles.

My question is should this have been done? At the moment i cant see how what he's done would improve the ventalation as the airflow is still restricted by the roof lining.

Thanks for reading and any advice.

Sponsored Links
it should be cut out to allow flow.. simply locate vents and cut around spigot with stanley knife.. 2 mins job.

Were you out when job was done ..no access to attic :?:

the tile would have come with a spigot and if you have a ridge board it needs to be cut. Get the 'roofer' back to do it properly.

Sponsored Links
the tile would have come with a spigot and if you have a ridge board it needs to be cut. Get the 'roofer' back to do it properly.

Not all ridge vents come with a spigot and the spigot only has a use when connecting to SVP or extract.

The ridge board does not necessarily need to be cut but the underlay definitely does, it may be cut but just difficult to see.

The guy has installed two ventalation tiles on the ridge of the roof at either side of the roof.

ridge vent or tile vent? either way needs a clear opening to vent

Thanks for the replies guys.

The tiles installed are ridge tiles. I definitely don't think the roof lining has been cut at all nor can I see any day light up through the new vent tiles. He never went in the attic neither. I don't know if i have a ridge board, is it possible to tell that without getting on the roof and lifting the tile?

Luck for me he hasn't been back yet to get paid!

look in the loft for ridge board. If you`ve got trusses..like factory made with metal plates holding them together - no ridge board. If you`ve got a cut + pitched roof , sawn timber assembled by a carpenter, you`ll have a ridge board @ the top of the rafters. Give the roofer a chance to go up there and cut a way through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back