Protection expiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My PC anti virus security stuff is due to expire, to cut a short story even shorter.
It cost me nowt 12 months ago it's by kaspersky.
Is it worth renewing or going for something else?
Input appreciated.
cheers peeps

Sponsored Links
Kaspersky is good and probably worth the money if you have to pay to renew, but there are some good free antivirus programs that do a really good job.

Only in Alphabetical order and NOT best-to-worse:

Avast
Avira AntiVir PE
Comodo AntiVirus

There are several more free ones in my 'NOW1' thread at the top of this Software Forum. Have a look and then either read the reviews or Google them.

dave

Sponsored Links
That should be fine, just check in your Security Centre (from Control Panel in XP) that the Windows firewall is turned OFF.
It should have been automatically turned off by the PC Tools firewall but just check, because you should not have two software firewalls running.

dave ;)

I've gone into control panel
Security Centre says at least one firewalls is on, is the one I should turn off.
Before I installed PC tool firewall I got warning telling me I was not protected by a firewall.

My only other suggestion is to install Winpatrol which should protect your startup options, which has the effect of keeping your machine speedy

If you carry on adding more and more pointless security app's you will be better off having a virus!

The best web protection available today is free. It's called common sense. Use generously.

If you carry on adding more and more pointless security app's you will be better off having a virus!

How exactly is anything suggested pointless??? Only pointless thing I can see is you comment.:rolleyes:

@PrenticeBoyofDerry

Go here: http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html Download it install it, basically all it does is monitors for things trying to run when you turn the computer on, allows you to edit them and has a delayed start option for things you want running but dont want delaying boot time. Very simple to use.

Also I take it you have a spyware scanner of some sort??

How exactly is anything suggested pointless???

The point ,daozen, is that it is plainly obvious to even the most hard of reading, that PBOD is not particularly confident with what he is doing. He has Essentials, which whilst perhaps not the best package available, it certainly has to be one of the easiest to use. Adding something like WP will only cause confusion and frustration with a novice user.

Know your audience!

EDIT:
Also I take it you have a spyware scanner of some sort??

Did you read his post at all ?

I have just installed this
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials
and PC Tools firewall.

Your advice would be more relevant if you read the posts :LOL:

And here's a little snippet from an independent review of MSE. Note the underlined area, which will hopefully explain my point even further.

Based on testing, the detection offered by MSE is great for a free product. It was far better than we expected in all honestly. Yet, that does not mean it is infallible. New threats, and new methods to expose users to them, appear hourly. A little caution while surfing the Web, and good maintenance routines – like applying system patches and software updates regularly – will offer you far more protection than any AV engine or product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back